domingo, 13 de diciembre de 2015

Christmas traditions I: poinsettia

Poinsettia plants are white-leaved for most of the year, but often turn red in winter.

A Mexican legend tells the story of a child who could not afford a gift for the Christmas Eve service. Gathering a handful of flowers from the wayside, the child remembered that a gift given with love would be acceptable to Jesus and her spirits rose. As the child knelt before the nativity scene the plant bloomed into a brilliant red before the eyes of the congregation and all who watched felt they had witnessed a Christmas miracle.

2 comentarios:

Toñi Mateo dijo...

What a lovely story!
I've never thought about the origin of this tradition and I believe that more people doesn't have the knowledge of the real meaning. Also, I have to say that I love Christmas and everything involved with it.
Thank you very much.

Greetings,
Toñi.

Señorita Diana dijo...

Thank you very much, Toñi. I am going to explain a Chrstmas tradition everyday, things that we do every year but whose origin we may not know. Tomorrow I am going to tell you about Robin redbreast. See you tomorrow!